A GoFundMe page set up by a Florida Air Force veteran to raise funds for President Donald Trump’s touted border wall has seen donations soar to over $3 million in just three days, with donors using the names of prominent Democrats and other high-profile figures to make their contributions.
So far, names like “Barack Obama,” “Hillary Clinton,” “Adam Schiff” and even “Lee Harvey Oswald” have appeared as donors to the page.
Of course, it’s highly unlikely that the former U.S. leader, Secretary of State and Democratic representative would have contributed to the effort, while it’s impossible for Oswald, the former U.S. Marine who assassinated U.S. President John F. Kennedy, to have made a donation as he died in November 1963.
While some backers of the “We The People Will Fund The Wall” GoFundMe page have clearly gone with fake names to make their donations, many others appear to have used their real names or contributed anonymously, with one of the biggest donations of $5,000 coming from an anonymous donor.
The GoFundMe campaign was created on Sunday by Purple Heart Recipient and triple amputee veteran Brian Kolfage, who is hoping to raise at least $1 billion in donations to go towards the construction of Trump’s border wall. At $3 million raised in three days, the 37-year-old veteran’s goal is 0.28 percent complete.
If the campaign doesn’t reach its $1 billion target, Kolfage has committed to refunding all donations made.
The veteran, who describes himself as a “retired United States Air Force member who was wounded in Iraq and lost three limbs,” has said on his GoFundMe page that “if the 63 million people who voted for Trump each pledge $80” that should equate to “roughly 5 billion dollars.”
“Even if we get half, that’s half the wall. We can do this,” he said, adding: “The government has accepted large private donations before, most recently a billionaire donated $7.5 Million to fund half of the Washington Monument repairs in 2012; this is no different.”
Speaking to Newsweek on Wednesday, Kolfage said he launched the campaign in response to “inaction from politicians on both sides of the aisle.”
“I could see the frustration among many Americans like myself. I knew there was a possible way to do this with so many people passionate about the cause,” he said.
While Kolfage’s border wall campaign has taken off, the veteran has seen previous efforts to spread his message thwarted, with Facebook reportedly shutting down several pages he had run earlier this year.
Speaking to The Guardian in October, Kolfage said that a “Right Wing News” page he had set up on Facebook was pulled from the website, along with three other conservative pages.
The 37-year-old said at the time that he had tried to work with Facebook to set up a meeting to discuss how his pages could better adhere to the social network’s policies around political content, but said that the meeting was canceled, with his pages disappearing from the social media platform a week later.
Calling it a “complete shock,” Kolfage told The Guardian that the social media platform never told him his pages had broken any rules. “If they had an issue, they could have brought it up,” he said.
Despite his difficulties on Facebook, the veteran does appear to have a verified page on the social media platform and the Right Wing News page also appears to be live, though it is unclear if Kolfage is still running the page.
The veteran’s efforts to raise $1 billion for Trump’s border wall come as the president struggles to get the $5 billion he has demanded from Congress for the project.
Last week, the U.S. leader threatened to shut down the government if Congress refused to meet his $5 billion border wall demand.
In recent days, Trump has backed away from the threat, with White House senior counselor Kellyanne Conway asserting on Wednesday that Trump would be open to Congress passing a short-term funding measure to keep the government open.
The president has also insisted that even if Congress doesn’t meet his funding demands, Mexico will be paying for the wall regardless through the recently-signed U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), which he claims will result in enough additional funds coming into the U.S. to cover the cost of the wall.