14 Must Know Benefits of Lemon for Skin, Hair and Health – When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Well, you actually can do a lot of things with lemon. This fruit comes with a host of benefits for health and beauty, therefore, why only make lemonade, instead use it to improve your overall health and beauty. Here is an article that enlists all the benefits of lemon for our skin, hair and health and will also give you ideas on what you can do when life gives you lemons 😉 Jokes apart, the tangy, tasty lemon has various culinary and non-culinary uses. It has amazing benefits which are used to cure various diseases since long. It is a rich source of Vitamin C, which strengthens our immunity system and make our body resistant to diseases. Keep on reading to know more about the Benefits of Lemon for Skin, Hair and Health.
Check – How to Use Lemon Juice for Acne and Acne Scars
Before taking a look at what lemons are good at, check out some interesting facts about the fruit itself.
What is Lemon?
Scientifically known as Citrus limonis, lemons are vibrant yellow or sometimes green colored round shaped fruit. All the parts of the fruit – the juice, the pulp, rind as well as the zest, everything has various uses. These parts are very commonly used in home remedies for clear skin, healthy hair as well as to treat various diseases and ailments. Records suggest that early explorers used to take lemons with them in long voyages as a treatment for scurvy, which is a serious health condition caused by vitamin C deficiency.
Lemons are not Limes
Many people get confused here! Lemons and limes are not the same thing, however both offers similar benefits for our health and beauty. The reason being, both lemon and lime is a rich source of Vitamin C. Both lemon and lime come from the same citrus family, but they differ is shape and size. Lemon is spherical in shape and the ripened fruit is bright yellow in color, whereas, limes are typically round in shape and slightly smaller than lemons. Many people think that lemons are ripe limes, but that’s not true!
Lemon Nutritional Facts
Lemons are rich source of vitamin A, B6, C, E, P, folate, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin, minerals like copper, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus as well as protein. The juice of the lemon contains 6% citric acid, which gives it the sour taste. Lemons also contain some amount of sugar, carbohydrates, dietary fiber and fat. The fruit contains flavonoids, which offers anti oxidant benefits and protects our body from various diseases including cancer. According to the studies conducted at American Urological Association, lemonade or lemon juice is very beneficial to prevent occurrence of kidney stones by forming urinary citrate, which in turn prevent crystal formation in the kidneys.
After discussing all these facts about lemon, lets now get started with the major benefits of lemon for skin, hair and health.
Benefits of Lemon for Skin
We are going to start this list with the Benefits of Lemon for Skin.
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Lemon
This is one of the most important beauty benefits of lemon. Lemon comes with anti bacterial and anti microbial properties, which helps in fighting off acne and pimples. Also the presence of phytoncides and vitamin P in lemon prevent bacterial growth effectively and help to maintain clear skin. Lemon juice is rich in citric acid, which helps to exfoliate the skin and also unclogs the blocked pores. We know that blocked pores are the major reason behind acne breakouts. This astringent properties of lemon also makes it ideal to treat acne. The L-ascorbic acid in lemon juice is responsible for its astringent properties. It shrinks the skin pores and helps the skin to get rid of the excess oil. Thus lemon helps to dry out existing acne and pimples as well as prevents future breakouts.
How to use lemon to treat acne?
- Extract the juice from half of a lemon and apply it on the acne affected area with a cotton ball. Let it sit on the skin for 30 minutes and wash off with plain water. Repeat daily.
- Mix together fresh lemon juice and raw honey in 1:2 ratio. Apply it on the face and keep it on the skin for 30 minutes. Wash off with cool water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Take one tsp each of baking soda and lemon juice and add a little water. Mix everything nicely. Apply the mixture on the acne affected area and then massage gently for couple of minutes. Let it sit for another 5 minutes and then wash off with cool water. Repeat twice in a week.
2. Anti Aging Benefits of Lemon
Lemon has significant anti aging properties. It is a rich source of vitamin C, which has powerful anti oxidant qualities. It helps in neutralizing the free radicals and protects our skin from various damages including premature aging. Also it boosts collagen production and helps in maintaining the natural elasticity of the skin. Furthermore lemon has astringent properties. It shrinks the skin pores and contributes to skin tightening.
How to use lemon for anti aging?
- Add few drops of lemon juice to a tbsp aloe vera gel. Mix well and apply it on the face. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and wash off. Repeat everyday.
- Put one egg white and one tbsp of lemon juice in a blender. Blend to get a smooth paste and apply the resultant paste on the face. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off using cold water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Mix together lemon juice, honey and olive oil in 1:1:1 ratio. Apply the resultant mixture on the face. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water and repeat daily.
3. Skin Lightening Benefits of Lemon
The anti oxidant components can be attributed to for this benefits of lemon. It is a rich source of vitamin C, which works wonderfully for our skin. Vitamin C has anti oxidant benefits, which help significantly in skin lightening. It flushes out the impurities from the skin and boosts new cell growth, which in turn, helps to get clean and clear skin. Furthermore, the astringent benefits of lemon juice makes it ideal to treat dark spots and acne scars. It shrinks the skin pores and thus minimizes the appearance of the scars. Lemon also contains citric acid that offers natural bleaching benefits. It exfoliates the skin, remove the dead skin cells and helps fresh, new skin cells to replace the damaged and pigmented ones.
How to use lemon for skin lightening?
- Mix together two tsp lemon juice and one tbsp of plain yogurt. Apply it all over the face. Allow it to sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with plain water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
- Take one half of a lemon and sprinkle some sugar on top of it. Gently rub this on pigmented skin in circular motion until the sugar granules start to dissolve. Wash the face with fresh water and repeat 2-3 times in a week.
- Prepare a thick paste by mixing a tsp of turmeric powder with few drops of lemon juice. Apply the paste on the dark spots and acne marks and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat twice or thrice in a week.
4. Gives Relief from Dry Skin
Here comes one of the lesser known beauty benefits of lemon. It is extremely effective in eliminating skin dryness. Citric acid present in lemon offers exfoliation benefits for our skin. It dissolves the dead skin cells and smoothens out the rough texture of dry skin. Also lemon contains potassium that helps to moisturize and rejuvenate dry and flaky skin. Lemon is a great source of vitamin C. It encourages collagen production in the skin and helps in maintaining the natural elasticity of the skin and keeping dryness at bay. Vitamin C is very effective in minimizing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines – two common problems associated with dry skin.
How to use lemon to prevent dry skin?
- Combine together one tbsp each of glycerin, lemon juice and water. Apply the mixture on the rough and dry areas of the skin and massage gently for few minutes. Let it stay on the skin for 10-15 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat everyday.
- Add a tbsp of lemon juice to two tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Mix together and massage your face with the mixture for 6-8 minutes. Keep it on the skin for another 10 minutes and wash off. Do this every alternate day.
5. Helps in Lightening Stretch Marks
Many of us are not aware of this benefits of lemon. The bleaching property of lemon helps to bleach the skin and reduce the redness of the stretch marks. Lemon helps to exfoliate the skin and remove the dead skin cells, which gradually help to lighten the appearance of stretch marks. Vitamin C is found in abundance in lemon juice. It plays a major role in lightening stretch marks. Vitamin C helps in building up the collagen in the body and also promotes the growth of new skin cells, which repairs and lightens the stretch marks. The anti oxidants benefits of lemon help to fight off the free radicals that damage the skin layers.
How to use lemon to treat stretch marks?
- Mix together fresh lemon juice and some rose water. Apply on the affected skin and massage gently in circular motions. Allow it to dry naturally and wash off. Repeat daily.
- Add two tbsp fresh lemon juice to half cup of cocoa butter. Mix together and apply the mixture all over the affected parts of the skin. Massage for few minutes and let it sit on the skin for another 30-40 minutes. Wash off with plain water and repeat everyday.
6. Removes Sun Tan
Sun tan is really hard to remove, specially old tan. However lemon juice is a great natural remedy to get rid of sun tan, thanks to its skin bleaching properties. Vitamin C in lemon juice has anti oxidant properties, which can protect the skin from UV damage and increased free radical activities.
How to use lemon to remove sun tan?
- Combine together 1 tbsp each of lemon juice, cucumber juice and rose water. Apply this mixture on the sun tanned areas and leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with fresh water and repeat everyday.
- Cut one medium sized in small pieces. Put them in a blender and prepare tomato paste. Add one tbsp lemon juice to the tomato paste and mix together. Apply it on the tanned parts of the skin and massage gently. Keep it on for another few minutes and wash off. Repeat 2-3 times in a week.
Benefits of Lemon for Hair
7. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Lemon
Lemon has powerful anti fungal properties, which helps to remove dandruff. The acidic nature of lemon helps in restoring our scalp’s pH level and prevent dandruff. The citric acid present in lemon helps in shedding away the dead skin cells and dandruff flakes accumulated on the scalp. Lemon, with its excellent cleansing properties, helps in eliminating every trace of dirt and stickiness of the scalp. Lemon is rich in anti oxidants and vitamins which are essential to maintain dandruff free healthy scalp and hair. Furthermore, the healing properties of lemon can soothe irritations and inflammations on the scalp caused by dandruff.
How to use lemon to treat dandruff?
- Warm up two tbsp of coconut oil and add a tsp lemon juice to it. Massage it thoroughly all over the scalp. Let it sit for an hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash it off. Repeat at least twice in a week.
- Mix together 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the scalp and massage gently. Once done, cover your head with a shower cap. Wait for 30 minutes and rinse off. Repeat twice in a week.
8. Aids in Hair Growth
This is one of the most important hair benefits of lemon. Lemons come packed with vitamin C which is essential for stronger and longer hair. Topical application of lemon juice stimulates hair growth by strengthening hair follicles. The anti fungal property of lemon juice drives the dandruff away and also provides relief from other scalp infection. Lemon, with its citric acid component, works as an excellent cleanser for our scalp and gently cleanse away accumulated dirt, dead cells, extra oil and product build up from the scalp and hair. Moreover, lemon juice contains “limonene”, a compound which is extremely beneficial to add shine to dull and frizzy hair.
How to use lemon to increase hair growth?
- Cut one fresh lemon in to two pieces. Squeeze the juice from the lemon wedges directly on the scalp. Massage gently with your fingertips. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and use a mild shampoo to wash off. Do this at least once in a week.
- Alternatively, take some water in a mug. Squeeze juice from one lemon to the water and stir well. Use this lemon water as the last rinse after shampooing the hair. Do this twice or thrice in a week.
- Take a quarter of a cup of fresh coconut water and add a tbsp of lemon juice to it. Mix together and apply the mixture all over the scalp and length of the hair. Massage gently with your fingertips for 2-3 minutes and let it stay for another 10-15 minutes. Wash off and repeat once or twice in a week.
9. Treats Itchy Scalp
Itchy scalp is very embarrassing. The itchiness on the scalp can be caused by fungal infection, dandruff or dirt build up. Lemon juice is super beneficial is treating all these conditions and give you relief from itchy scalp. The anti fungal benefits of lemon drives the dandruff away as well as treat other scalp infections and reduce the itchiness of the scalp. The citric acid in lemon provides excellent cleansing and removes build up from the scalp. Moreover, the acidic nature of lemon makes it ideal to restore the pH balance of the scalp, and keep it clean and healthy.
How to use lemon juice to cure itchy scalp?
Mash one ripe banana and add two tbsp lemon juice to that. Also add a tbsp of raw honey to that. Mix together and apply the paste on the scalp. Massage well and wait for 20-30 minutes. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat once in a week.
Benefits of Lemon for Health
10. Boosts Digestion
This is one of the major health benefits of lemon. Lemon contains citric acid. The acidic nature of lemon boosts the stomach acids and digestive juices to breakdown the food easily and digest the same. It also helps in improved absorption of the nutrients present in our food. Moreover, the cleansing benefits of lemon help to flush out toxins from the digestive tracts and provides relief from stomach disorders, including bloating, heartburn, flatulence, acid reflux etc. Also the anti bacterial properties and vitamin C in lemon reduce the chance of infections in gastrointestinal tract.
How to use lemon for better digestion?
Add some lemon juice and honey to a glass of warm water and stir well. Drink the water before eating a meal to digest your foods easily.
11. Can Help with Kidney Stone Treatment
This is another massive health benefits of lemon. Kidney stone has become a common health issue these days. Lemon is rich in natural citrate, which is extremely beneficial in preventing the formation of calcium stone as well as can dissolve small stones that can otherwise join together to form bigger ones. The juice of lemon also helps to reduce the acidity of urine, which in turn, can inhibit the formation of calcium oxalate and uric acid stones. Lemon juice keeps you hydrated and pass a lot of urine which also helps to prevent kidney stone formation. Lemon juice, furthermore, helps to dissolve the existing kidney stones and let them pass through urine easily. And it doesn’t end here as well. Lemon helps in preventing recurrence of kidney stones as well.
How to use lemon to treat kidney stones?
- Take 2-3 fresh lemons and extract the juice. Add the juice to two liters of water and stir well. Drink this twice in a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) regularly to get rid of kidney stones.
- Mix together a tbsp each of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice and consume the mixture as many times as you wish in a day. This is a great remedy to get fast relief from kidney stones.
- Alternatively, combine together 1/4th cup of lemon juice and olive oil. You have to mix these two ingredients really well and then drink it. Follow up with one or two glass of distilled water. Repeat this 2-3 times every day and soon you will get to see positive results.
12. Cure Sore Throat
Lemon contains citric acid which helps in breaking up the mucus that causes sore throat. The healing benefits of lemon give relief from pain and inflammation caused by sore throat. The vitamin C and anti oxidants strengthen the immune system and make our body able to fight off these common health problems easily. The anti bacterial property of lemon kills the bacteria in the throat and gives relief from sore throat. Lemon juice increases saliva production which helps to keep the throat lubricated and minimizes the irritation.
How to use lemon juice to cure sore throat?
Dilute juice of half lemon in some water and use this water to gargle for faster relief from sore throat.
13. Helps with Weight Loss
Lemon contains ‘pectin’, a soluble fiber which helps to fight off cravings and prevent you from unhealthy snacking. Lemon helps to make you feel “full”for a long period of time. The juice of lemon boosts metabolism and help you burn more calories, thus supporting your weight loss regime. The polyphenols in lemon has anti oxidant properties which stimulate our liver to burn more fat, whereas vitamin C also enables our body to burn more fat.
14. Improves Oral Health
Lemon juice has anti bacterial properties which helps to kill bacteria that cause toothache and gum disease as well as bad breath. However, be careful about the citric acid content of the lemon juice which might cause loss of enamel.
These were some of the best health and beauty benefits of lemon, hope you enjoyed reading the article 🙂